Photobucket

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The Guests Have Left

This past Saturday I photographed one of my low budget weddings. It was in downtown Seattle on the roof of the cruise terminal. It was hot. The bride and groom were an hour late. Half the guests left the reception (inside the WTC) after dinner. Wow.

Luckily it was not my fault. Looking back, I am not even sure how they got to be an hour late. My guess is nerves. The bride had a bit of trouble getting into her dress. She needed her bun re done. The groom was still writing his vows as he walked to the ceremony. The mother of the groom wasn't dressed yet when I left to go to the ceremony. Granted, she had been running all over helping the bride. The crowd seemed fine. You could tell they were anxious. It wasn't until the room emptied out that I realized those poor guests paid for downtown parking, sat for close to two hours in the sweltering sun and waited for a late dinner. That's why they left. 

Meanwhile, I was left for close to two hours with barely anything to photograph. That's right. A few people danced, the cake cutting was done without any applause, the bouquet and garter toss were luckily pulled off but my bread and butter of guests and couples was none. Seriously everyone that stayed were family that I had been photographing all day. It was bizarre. I was at a loss. I felt so bad. What do you do in those situations???

Luckily I only have to give 250 pictures. Still, they are not my favorites. The day was gorgeous which translates to crappy when photographed. Clouds are much better than blue sky. Blue sky tends to wash out. Also, people squint. The formals are either angry looking from squinting or blown out from shooting in the sun. Then we segway into indoors where it's just not pretty. Still, the Seattle WTC has a great view and I know I got some good stuff. I just had to stress the whole way through.

No comments:

Post a Comment