Photobucket

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Learning Curve

I have a package that I am offering couples that is $550. I am doing this to get back into the business and at the same time, offer a package that is really worth the $550 and not sell myself short. Surprisingly, I have come across several things I need to be more clear on.
1. Travel Time and Cost
I hadn't really thought of this and it may have cost me a wedding. I live in Lynnwood and have been advertising in Bellingham. I do this because my husband has friends up there and things he can do so if we both go together, it is not exactly a cost. Well, a couple found me and we had a meeting to discuss the wedding. They were actually getting married at Peace Arch up at the Canadian border. They wanted to know what I would charge for travel up there. I admit, I was caught off guard and said the best answer I could on short notice. That answer was they would have to pay my gas cost. They were not happy with that answer. I was then lectured by the bride about how I should charge per mile and my time. They said they would pay me $30 extra for travel. Lesson Learned: I need to figure out a travel fee, stat.
2. Tell Me About Yourself
I hate this one. People want to know about me. As me in me personally. I feel awkward here because really, why do they care? They are hiring me for my photography skills, what does my personal life have to do with it? I tell them about my two degrees in Photography and how long I have been taking wedding pictures. I tell them how I got in the business and then I stop. They always look at me as if they are not quite sure if I answered their question. Lesson Learned: I need to come up with a memorized monologue that satisfies.
3. References
What? I don't keep in touch with clients. Should I? Couples are asking for references and I don't get it. Do the pictures not speak for themselves? Do my albums not clearly show that my couples are clearly having a great time and I did an amazing job? What is a reference going to tell them? Why would I give them a bad one? I feel so weird contacting a couple I haven't spoken to in forever and asking them if I can send their email to a stranger and have them answer questions. They are busy, they all have lives. They are not a former employer. Yes, in a way they are. They hired me to do a professional service for them, but its not like a 9-5 job where references are expected. Lesson Learned: Get over it. Make sure to have go-to couples who would be willing to give a great reference.
4. Changes to the Package
My hours for the $550 wedding photo package is 6 hours. What do I charge for more time? Excellent question. That is a tough one for me. The package is meant to be low budget. Those are the people I am looking for. It even states that in the ad " Wedding Photography for LOW BUDGET weddings". My 8 hour package is $1200. That is a huge difference from $550. Granted, I offer a lot more in the 8 hour package. However, 8 hours means more pictures which means more of my time overall. I will admit, I got taken advantage of. I have a couple getting close to the $1200 package for several hundred less. Lesson Learned: figure out how much an hour extra you are. Be stern when you say this and don't be shy about explaining why.
5. Thank You
I also realized that I should always email a thank you after a meeting. One client was meeting me and two other photographers in one day. Somehow I didn't get the gig but I sure wish I had sent a thank you. Perhaps it would have given me an upper hand?

No comments:

Post a Comment